Wednesday, July 6, 2011

About Me

My name is Katrina Schell, and I have recently begun graduate studies in library and information science at Syracuse University's iSchool. Although I've worked in Hamilton College's libraries for a combined total of eleven years (four as a student assistant in the media library, seven in Burke Library), I spent most of them resisting the idea of becoming a librarian. The last thing I wanted to become was a cranky, people-shushing stereotype, even if I do like to wear my hair up! With year eleven completed and twelve waiting in the wings, I begin my quest to become the very thing I resisted - with significant adaptations, of course. I am so thrilled to be starting this journey with so many creative, interesting people. Together we will rock the library world, I'm sure!

At work I am best known for taking shortcuts over the circulation counter and spontaneously erupting into snippets of song, as well as actually using the range in our staff lounge to fry up large hunks of meat for lunch. I am a lover of tea, dark chocolate, reasonably priced wines, really nice incense and well-executed rituals of just about any persuasion. When I am not working I enjoy gardening, cooking, chessing (yes, I know chess isn't a verb - yet), journaling and daydreaming. I cherish the idea of one day becoming a renowned storyteller and half-way decent mandolin picker in addition to becoming a librarian.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! I'm following you through my Wordpress blog.

    So why are you supposed to keep this blog? Is there a specific theme or is it just about your experiences in librarian school? Either way, I'm sure it will be a great read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It has multiple purposes: 1) to get us up to speed on a piece of "Library 2.0" if we're new to it; 2) to potentially serve as a portfolio of our learning and achievements; 3) to reflect on specific assignments related to the introductory course for which we created blogs in the first place. The course is "Introduction to the Library and Information Profession", taught by R. David Lankes.

    ReplyDelete